Calflowers seeks PR person
January 22, 2016 at 3:43 pm #14061
Request for Proposal for Public Relations Contractor
The California Association of Flower Growers & Shippers (CalFlowers) is seeking proposals for a public relations contractor with at least 5 years experience in the following areas:
• Managing communications campaigns with industry press and influencers;
• Excellent written and oral communications skills;
• Strong editing skills;
• Strong project management skills;
• Strong social media skills and experience;
• Strong business-to-business media and press experience; and
• Strong communications campaign planning and execution experience.
The following skills and experience, while not required, will be considered valuable to also have:
• Floriculture industry experience;
• Trade association experience, especially working with volunteer committee members; and
• Business-to-consumer experience.
Sample Scope of Work
Internal Communications – CalFlowers is a California-based trade association with a national reach. We have about 180 voting members in California and approximately 380 non-voting members in 46 states across the country. The membership is comprised of cut flower growers (mostly in California with about 20 non-California growers in other states), flower wholesalers, brokers, shippers and some retailers.
We publish an e-newsletter once a month to highlight project, programs and up coming events. This is currently distributed to our membership. While this is a staff responsibility, we’re also looking for the contractor to contribute content to this monthly publication and be part of the team that helps keep us “on message.” This contribution is not expected to be a major focus of the contractor’s time.
External Communications –
We enjoy solid and positive relationships with floral industry press and often cannot meet requests for stories and contributions to these journals. We do not generate many press releases each year. Press releases are currently issued for upcoming events and post events. For example, in 2015 we issued 8 press releases; that’s probably at the high end of our needs.
Our messaging can use a more disciplined approach. In 2015 we adopted the following umbrella aspirational theme, which we intend to incorporate into our general messaging:
More Americans, enjoying more flowers, more often
The role we wish the PR contractor to fulfill is as a member of the CalFlowers team to bring public relations best practices to our communications activities and to be responsible for:
• Maintaining positive relations with external press contacts;
• Representing CalFlowers’ positioning to external press;
• Identifying press release opportunities, write press releases and distribute for review and approval, schedule and issue the release over one of the wire services (submit release to member of staff to post on CAFG&S website);
• Pro-actively guide the Board, Marketing Committees and other committees to good public relations practices and support for communications campaigns;
• Attending CalFlowers events (e.g., World Floral Expo, Fun ‘N Sun, etc.) to manage and support interactions with press and CalFlowers representatives; and
• Other related duties from time-to-time Budget
The 2015-16 (October 1, 2015 – September 30, 2016) budget for professional public relations support is approximately 35,000 for the balance of the year, exclusive of direct costs such as travel and wire service fees.
Questions and proposals should be directed to: Michael LoBue
California Association of Flower Growers & Shippers LoBue@cafgs.org
Proposals should be short, citing relevant experience, a writing sample and up to three references.
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.