Marketing?

This topic contains 1 reply, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  WillieeArmellini 3 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

gchoice

Any interest in marketing as one of the topics?

WillieeArmellini
    Keymaster

As long as it is not just you and me sure!

McFlowers
    Participant

Sure, marketing should be a topic.

I am presenting a Sympathy Marketing Presentation at Weatherford Farms in Houston on Tuesday. Actually, it is a “combo” meeting, part sympathy design by Scott Hasty AIFD, and then my PP presentation.

gchoice

McFlowers…Maybe interesting to add to your presentation.

Youthification. It’s a Word Now. – Gary Vaynerchuk
    I recently had someone ask me, “What if your consumers aren’t on social media?”

My knee-jerk reaction was “Then you shouldn’t be there,” but what’s more likely is that you’re just wrong. Either that or not willing to dig deep enough to find them… or you’ve made a philosophical decision on it without doing your deep homework. Bottom line is that those are not good reasons.

Between Facebook (from an age standpoint) and LinkedIn(from a B2B perspective), I don’t believe that there is any market segment that is not accessible through modern platforms. This is not because “everybody” is online; they’re not. But let me give you an example to show you what I’m talking about:

I helped a nursing home recently (as a favor to a friend, not for VaynerMedia). They said, “Listen, our clients are 80-90 years old”.

“But they’re not your only clients,” I said. “Their kids are making a lot of these decisions,” and there are plenty of 40-50-year-olds on Facebook. Sure enough, when they started making content for that (relatively) younger age group, they started to see conversion.

Here’s another way of looking at it. If you look at the data, the buying habits of 40 to 50-year-old women are starting to be influenced by their 13 to 21-year-old daughters. Way more so than 20 years ago when it was the other way around. It’s why I actually like the idea of using Snapchat, Instagram, and Vineto market to 40-year-old women even though they’re not directly using the platforms.

We are going through the youthification of our society. Think about it. If you look at the behavior of a 40 year-old woman today, it very closely resembles the actions of a 27 year-old women only 20 years ago.

Here’s an experiment: I want you to think about what your parents were like when they were your age. I mean two or three generations ago, people used to think they were done at 60. Now we’re so lucky, and so much more healthy and advanced that we’re living through this youthification. I mean the idea of a “cougar” was a funny joke to some 10 years ago, but it’s a very real thing. I have clients marketing things toward 15 year old girls because if they think it’s cool, then their moms will think it’s cool.

My friends, we are living through very different times and it requires us to take another look at everything. Not just the platforms or the creative ideas, but the real physiology shift we are currently living through. Do you honestly not see all the changes that are happening right in front of your eyes?

WCflor
    Participant

There is interest at my end on this topic. The posted article was valuable and could help any retailer to understand who drives the decisions made in the marketplace.

The floral industry is a fashion and creative industry but we often seem to forget that and do not take advantage of that to drive sales. We get focused on pricing or quality but you still need to bring people to your door. Advertising a dozen roses may inspire some people to stop at your store but would it ever inspire a 12 year old to suggest to mom that your store is cool? It would probably do the exact opposite.

gchoice

VCflor……I believe if what Gary is saying is if you provide content that a 12 year old would read or watch on the platform they are on then you have a better chance of them thinking your store is cool. Then these younger generations will help to influence the older generations.

gchoice

No Content, No Customers by OPEN Forum
    Each week MSNBC’s Your Business features experts to share their secrets for improving your business. This week, in today’s tech-savvy world, e-commerce websites are popping up all the time, but how do you make yours stand out from the rest? Rod Kurtz introduces us to a woman who’s taking the phrase “content is king” to new heights.

McFlowers
    Participant

GCHOICE- Thanks for the post, it is a good reminder for me to look into if there is a working model of marketing to local 40-60 year old females on FB. I am trying once again to see if I can make AdWord advertising with local local funeral homes be profitable. I tried in late 2011 with limited success, but some things have changed since then…..guess we will see.

gchoice

McFlowers- The delivery of information has changed but in many ways we are back to the “good old” days of walking into your favorite clothing store where they knew your name, your preferences and sizes. I would begin with producing great content for your customers. Check out these interesting short articles…
    http://www.businessinsider.com/starbucks-howard-schultz-consumer-behavior-2013-1

http://socialmediatoday.com/davidmeermanscott/514568/educate-and-inform-instead-interrupt-and-sell

http://uncommonlysocial.com/one-page-content-marketing-plan/

Authors that I follow with great blogs or YouTube channels…Brian Solis, Seth Godin, Gary Vaynerchuk. David Meerman Scott, Tom Peters

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.